Thursday, January 26, 2012

Friday the 13th (January)


We had a dinner party and a viewing of the movie Silence of the Lambs.  We were preparing for a trip to NYC to see a musical called Silence.  It is a musical about the movie Silence of the Lambs and is supposed to be funny.  Yep, go figure. I will let you know how it turns out.  

Our menu:  LAMB, fava beans, Chianti.  I should have taken a picture of dinner.  It was SO good.  Perfectly cooked everything.  OK, you can't do dinner without dessert and trying to stick with the theme I decided to try S'mores Waffles.  I know, it doesn't stick with the theme at all.  Here we go.


I made the batter before our guests arrived to avoid the chaos of throwing a batter together with a full house waiting on dessert.  I used the malted waffle mix and added cocoa this time.  I crumbled in some graham crackers and tossed mini marshmallows and chunks of dark chocolate into the mix.  
Chocolate Waffle Batter

The batter sat for a few hours in the fridge before use so the marshmallows absorbed some of the moisture and got big and fluffy.  While the batter sat, we had time to eat and be merry and use every movie quote we could think of before the movie actually started. 








I also prepped the sauces in advance.  My trusted culinary adviser (the hunky guy I mentioned once before) found a great marshmallow sauce recipe in one of the many cooking magazines we have around here.  It called for sugar, corn syrup, water, and vanilla.  I boiled the ingredients until the temperature reached 240 degrees F. 

Marshmallow Sauce in the making

Next, I transferred it to the mixer that contained cool water and plain gelatin.  Mixed until it was white and shiny.  The chocolate sauce was easy too. I used a homemade double boiler to melt the chocolate and combined it with a little oil to keep it from quickly finding it's way back to solid form.


Movie started and dessert production began.  I decided to cook small waffle nuggets this time as we had all just eaten way too much and barely had room for dessert. 

Smore's Waffle Nuggets


I drizzled the marshmallow and chocolate sauces over the stack and crumbled graham crackers on top. Served and enjoyed.  The waffles were good but even better was hearing others' reactions to them as they found room in their already full bellies for one more bite of this campfire favorite.  I think this one is a keeper! 


Smore's Waffle




Look forward to my next post about blueberry waffles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment